Manifestation: Rediscovering the World of Quests

v1.0.6

Introduction

“Those that go searching for love only make manifest their own lovelessness, and the loveless never find love, only the loving find love, and they never have to seek for it.”
― D.H. Lawrence

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
― Rumi

“This is your world. You’re the creator.”
― Bob Ross

In life, we often decide for one reason or another that we want something. The goals we pursue are as varied as the stars in the sky — some people want money, some fame, some love, while others might just want to be smacked on the bottom and told they’re bad boys.

The variety of experiences available to us in life is truly infinite, but often we feel it is difficult to attain the experiences we desire. Sometimes it feels as if Life – this amorphous entity – is working against us. In a way, this is true. However, a more accurate view would be to turn that phrase around – often it is we who are working against Life.

Back in the days of our ancestors, most goals were related to survival – get a banana, find shelter from the rain, or flee a large predator. Except for the latter case (fleeing from the predator), most goals were relatively simple and didn’t involve the independent will of others. To get that banana, all our ancestors needed to do was figure out how to reach it. To find shelter from the rain, all they had to do was use their brains and search for likely places.

Modern society, however, has brought us together in more complex and interdependent ways. We now rarely get anything without the involvement of other people and we often do not even know them. The goals of today are more likely to be outside our control to a degree far greater than they were for our ancestors 10,000 years ago. Today’s goals often feel less like quests and more like requests – ask for that job, ask to be your girlfriend, ask to make the cut for your high school’s basketball team, and so on. In the highly interdependent World of Requests, life can feel forever out of control, leaving us distraught and disempowered.

Thankfully, however, there is a simple way to transform this World of Requests back into a World of Quests. That way I will describe below as Manifestation Teachings.

Principles of Manifestation

Before we discuss how to manifest, it is worthwhile to take a moment and describe some basic principles upon which the Manifestation Teachings depend. If you feel particularly impatient, jump down to the section called “The Teachings of Manifestation” to learn the three simple steps for manifesting any experience you desire.

First Principle - The Universe is energy and consciousness

“If you want to know the secrets of the Universe think in terms of energy, frequency, and vibration.”
– Nikola Tesla

Manifestation works because the Universe is composed of energy and that energy is shaped by consciousness. When you decide you want to drink a hot tea, your consciousness generates an intention which vibrates the energy of the world around you, changing its frequency and moving your body toward the cupboard, taking out the tea (which is composed of energy), turn on the stove and heat water (yet more energy), until finally you have formed the Energy of your goal experience – a steaming hot cup of tea.

Life, then, is simply transmuting energy from one form into another. We do this all effortlessly, as it is our nature as creative beings. We usually don’t think in terms of energy. Nevertheless, this process is happening at all times across the Universe.

Second Principle - Energy attracts complimentary energy

The energy we embody attracts certain energies to us while repelling other energies at the same time. An aggressive or violent attitude attracts experiences of conflict while pushing away experiences of love and connection. Similarly, the energy of a desperate or clingy person often pushes away relationship partners, while attracting abusive or narcissistic partners. This is one hidden meaning of “the loveless never find love” in the first quote on this post. Until we begin to broadcast the energy of love, love cannot find us.

Using the previous example of making a cup of tea, the energy of desire for a cup of tea, in unison with the energy of going through the motions of making the tea, together result in attracting to us the experience of a hot cup of tea. This example may seem a bit contrived, but it illustrates how intentions and actions (guided by our consciousness) shape and guide the energies of the world.

The Teachings of Manifestation, put simply, are ways of learning to work with the flow of Life, instead of fighting against it. Why struggle to attain something, when we are often the very ones repelling it with our energy? Why not instead, transform our energy into the energy which will attract what we desire? Essentially, we learn to change ourselves instead of trying to force change on world around us, and Life responds to this by sending us infinite variations of that which we desire.

Third Principle - To receive an energy, energy must first be given

But it is not enough simply to desire something for it to appear in our lives. We must be willing to give something of ourselves to attract that experience into our lives. In the example of the tea, we must go through the efforts of making the tea in order to receive it. We must first change ourselves and our present situation, then life provides us with the experience we desire.

Modern society is so convenient that little energy is often required to receive an experience, and when we compound that by growing up with parents who take care of all our basic needs, it can be very difficult to not develop a feeling of entitlement, a feeling that we need not give anything to receive something in life. However, nothing diminishes the heart’s light more quickly than going against this law of the Universe – to receive energy, energy must first be given. At some point in the evolution of a conscious being, receiving things for no effort begins to feel empty and hollow; it is the effort to attain the goal which becomes the source of satisfaction and meaning in life.

And therein lies the secret of Manifestation Teachings. When we realize that achieving our goals is a logical consequence of our actions, the actions themselves begin to feel full of meaning and satisfaction because each moment they are bringing us closer to that which have set as our goal. When we find satisfaction in our efforts – sometimes even more than the attainment of our goals – we cease to have any difficulty motivating ourselves to work.

The Universe and Manifestation

Since we move through a world alive with so many beings, each having their own will (e.g. consciousness), it makes sense that we should consider the wills of others when we pursue our goals. However, for the vast majority of people in the present day, this is not the case; most people are preoccupied only with their own, self-centered interests and completely disregard the interests of other beings.

The result is one-sided action originating from selfishness, resulting in feeling we are fighting against a hostile world and being foiled time and again in our pursuits. We should first understand that this is how it should be – those who act only for their own benefit often swim against the current of Life, and thus, they must expend considerable effort to advance anywhere. Why should Life expend any special effort for us when we have chosen to swim against its current? All the pain and frustration that results is a reminder, sent to us from Life, that there is an easier way, but we must first set aside our self-centered thinking and widen our perspective. Flowing with Life’s current means opening ourselves to consideration of the desires of the other beings who populate this Universe with us, particularly those related to the goals we seek.

Flowing with Life’s current does not mean giving up all will and simply floating about wherever Life takes us. This complacency is no better than willfully resisting Life’s current since we end up feeling disengaged and disconnected from life. There is a third way, and that is to use the energy of Life’s current while still exerting our free will to guide our ship one direction or another down the current. We accept that the current of Life is forever out of our control, but we have the freedom to choose which experiences we desire and we go toward or away from them. We flow through Life, all the while deciding the path we will take through it.

This flowing with Life, Creation, or God is called different names in various teachings from all over the world – Wu wei (not-doing) in Taoist teachings, the Middle Way in Buddhist Teachings, Theosis in Eastern Christian theology, Sensus divinitatis in Calvinist Christian teachings, or fitrah in Islamic Sufi teachings.

The Teachings of Manifestation

So this all brings us to the question of how exactly do we do this “flowing with Life” to manifest the changes we want? The following are three steps to manifest any experience you desire in your life. Manifestation is not always easy, but it works and is the easiest path I have yet discovered for attaining goals.

Step 1: Define Your Goal

The first step begins with deciding what goal you want to achieve. To find a worthy goal you must know yourself and what brings you joy and happiness in the truest sense. Once you have decided on a worthy goal, define it clearly by writing down all the aspects of the goal that you can dream up. Use your imagination.

If the goal is to get a job, define exactly what kind of job you would like. What are all the relevant aspects? Try to see some examples of the job clearly in your mind’s eye. If the goal is to get a girlfriend, define every attribute you can imagine about her. The point here is to be as specific as possible without becoming so specific that Life can only produce one form to satisfy your parameters. You must give Life room to work with. If you become too restrictive in your goal, you cease to be manifesting and you are simply obsessing.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is not to be too specific. You must work with Life, not try to force your will upon it. Forcing your will onto life runs counter to the Manifestation Teachings because Life often knows better than we do what is best for us. You may think the girl sitting next to you in History class is your dream girl, but only Life/God/the Universe truly knows what lies in her heart and yours and whether those energies are truly compatible. It might be that the quiet girl sitting behind her is actually the one you desire in your heart. Life knows this, if you only have the courage to trust it.

Step 2: Decide What Your Goal Wants or Requires

Now that you have a specific list of attributes of your goal, make a second list of all the attributes that your goal desires or that are necessary for your goal. If your goal is a certain kind of job, put yourself in the shoes of the company and imagine what their ideal candidate might look like. If you’re not sure, you may need to inquire or read job listings. If your goal is to delight customers with your new startup, imagine what kind of product your customers would want and need. If your goal is a lifetime partner, imagine his or her ideal partner. Be as specific as possible, again without becoming too restrictive. You’ll find it is easier here to not be too specific if you have not been too specific in the first step.

Step 3: Become That Which Your Goal Desires

Remember the Third Principle of Manifestation – in order to receive anything in Life, we must be willing to give something in return. In order to attain our greatest desire, we must become that which will attract our desire, the desire of our desire. This way, the attraction will work from both directions; you and your goal will be drawn towards each other as if by destiny.

If you want a job, but you do not satisfy the requirements, it will be much more difficult and, even if you are hired, you will find your work there tenuous at best. If you want a partner, and you are not the kind of person he or she wants, then the relationship will be short-lived or filled with unhappiness.

For this reason, you now take the list of qualities which lists the desires of your desire and you start working earnestly to embody those qualities, knowing that the stronger you grow in them, the faster your goal will come hurtling towards you. Since you desire the thing, chances are high you already embody many of the qualities that your desire wants too. If you want to work as a marine biologist, chances are high you feel a deep affinity for the ocean and ocean life. If you want a girl who is introverted, chances are high that you appreciate someone who has a deep and full inner world to share with you.

Putting It All Together

“Be so good they can’t ignore you.”
― Steve Martin

By becoming the thing which your goal desires, you can be confident that Life will send you one manifestation of your goal after another. The closer you embody what your goal desires, the more frequently and more perfectly these manifestations will appear. In essence, through changing yourself, you change the energy surrounding you and Life responds by producing countless manifestations of your goal for you. Your goals are now looking for you.

If you desire a job, you will see that Life produces far more amazing and relevant opportunities than you ever could have imagined when you were focused on a single, specific job opportunity. If you desire a partner, you suddenly see that Life has brought someone surprising into your life who is far more amazing and suitable than you could have ever found by simply searching.

As an added benefit, once you begin to embody that which your goal desires, you develop an immunity to failure and rejection because each time an experience doesn’t work out, it is a success, not a failure. You do not cling to unsuccessful manifestation because you realize that the manifestation was not what you were truly searching for. So you can easily let it go with peace in your heart and permit Life to present you with a new opportunity. Regardless, you always know the action which you need to take next – continue to embody that which your goal desires and keep your eyes open for the next possibility.

Using your own persistence and hard work along with these three steps, you can learn to manifest any experience in life you desire. The key is to work with Life by embodying the list of qualities that will attract your goal. Each item on that list now becomes a quest for you. No longer must you request anything of the world, because that which you desire will be attracted to you.

The World of Requests has been transformed once again into a World of Quests.

Examples

Manifesting a Significant Other (Raku)

TBD

Manifesting a Career as a Writer (Raku)

TBD

Raku's Post Collection
Manifestation Quest: Raku

Shivers down my spine. Bravo Raku - this was a very interesting read, and I came away with many helpful thoughts.

Forgive me for the bluntness I’m about to use to convey my current situation regarding this topic. I’m going to express my feelings regarding some of the things you touched upon not regarding you so don’t take it personal. I’m sure some people will find your story helpful but I can only speak from my perspective so that’s what I’ll do.

In all honesty I think the way things work in this world is all one big joke. Only when my brain is saturated with the right amount of chemicals is when I’m able to appreciate things in life. Only when I act like the obedient little cog in the consumerist machine will I be able to attain the resources to fulfill some basic requirements for sustaining my little life on this planet. We are so used to the lack of the full spectrum of basic human needs that we think it’s normal to have people walking around who are completely devoid of empathy towards other living beings. It’s the norm to anesthetize ourselves on a regular basis with alcohol or mind numbing anti-depressants. If it’s not substances, we use entertainment or any form of activity to distract us from the state of emotional limbo we are forced into from birth. Get an education, get a job, pay bills/taxes, get enough sleep, watch your health, care for your family… But you will die anyway, if you’re lucky you might have a few old days to “enjoy” life, until then work your ass off every day coming home to eat and rest in order to work more to pay for food and a place to rest your head at night. Not to mention the psychological warfare through the media “your clothes are made by child slaves in third world countries” “donate to feed hungry kids in africa” “send your kids to fight wars in the middle east” “animals are being abused for your culinary enjoyment” “pollution is causing global warming and china doesn’t care” just to name a few examples. No wonder people can’t manage to be compassionate. People can’t handle all the crap that’s being thrown at them and the brain goes into survival mode. Then we try to fill this black hole with more crap and we don’t understand why it’s not working. Be strong they tell each other. You can make it happen. Don’t make me laugh. We are living in a psychological garbage dump. Manifesting anything into reality has nothing to do with creation, it’s more like rummaging through a bin and pulling out something that we can only hope to resemble what we desire. Because what we really need is nowhere near the place we are in. Entitlement is a mindfuck. How would any human not deserve a decent home with clean water and a piece of unpolluted land to grow some crops? Sunlight is free, oceans are full of water, land is in abundance. But we live in cities, stuck in the system. Are we entitled to live inside this system without our consent? Do we really have a choice?

No problem at all, Bones. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and your experience. Without ideas being set on fire, we cannot test their true worth.

I understand your frustration well because I feel very similar frustrations with respect to the modern world and, in particular, the slow decline of social programs, public education, and healthcare that I’ve watched in my own country (USA) over the last 30 years, as well as the all-too-common “things over people” mentality, and the millions of people burying their heads in the sand saying “America is #1” despite our continued decline in objective international measures like the Good Country Index. It’s all frustrating to watch and I understand the feelings of anger and despair you expressed.

There are two mindsets about the world: the Fixed Mindset (the world is fixed) and the Growth Mindset (the world is change). Which mindset a person chooses to embody correlates strongly with how happy, fulfilled, and successful that person is in life. It’s one thing to acknowledge that the world is a certain way, but it is a very different thing to let despair convince us that the world cannot change. Societal problems are caused by groups of individuals, and they are only solvable by groups of individuals coming together to face those problems. The NoFap community, in my opinion, is one such community who seek to address a major problem of society - escapism.

Manifestation isn’t something magical. It doesn’t solve our problems for us. Instead, it simply provides a framework for working directly with the reality around us so that we can solve our own problems to bring about the changes we desire. The alternative is to stubbornly believe the world should be another way and work only with that fantasy world inside our heads, often feeling that the world is fighting us.

When I say that we are not entitled to anything in life, I don’t make a judgment here – I am simply stating a fact about life. Even though I believe we, as sentient beings, are best served taking care of each other, ensuring the health and care for all members of society, life itself doesn’t seem to care about these things. Whether humans live or die, does not appear to matter significantly to the Universe. If you doubt this, step out into the wilderness and wait for life to bring you food. Eventually, hunger will show you the truth. We must give our energy to life to receive anything back. The fact that modern society is much more productive does not change this truth. Someone is growing the food. Someone is moving it to the market. Someone is buying it for us with their hard work. The fact that, despite higher productivity, we must still work so hard to get the money to buy food is a symptom of a deeper problem. But that problem can be solved, because the world can change.

The world is neutral; it is us who give it meaning. As you alluded to, from the moment we’re born, we’re going to die. Death is the final goal. Life, then is just killing time until we die. Despite that, as consciousness we form a new goal - to live. We create and find our own meaning in life. Whether we choose to ignore life or take an active role in the flow of it, life will continue flowing onward. As conscious creative beings, we have the opportunity to direct its flow in positive ways if we so choose, and manifestation is the fancy word given to one approach.

Frustration yes, despair and anger don’t exist within me though. Discontent was the main reason for my cynical reply.

I’m all for positive transmutation of energy. Sometimes negativity is necessary to deal with but I always strive to approach everything in my daily life with positivity and humor as much as possible. There is a limit to how much positivity I can spread since there are too many situations that don’t reciprocate any positive energy which drains my reserves (affecting my mental state) until I recharge again. That’s why I’m forced to conserve my energy and use it efficiently in a realistic fashion. Sometimes it can also really help to receive some negative energy because it can be very powerful and if you know how to harness that energy it will result in a big wave of action that almost seems effortless.

I’m not convinced that the second principle works in the ways you described for a couple of reasons. I guess it all depends on how something is perceived to be complimentary. Things are often so advanced that it’s hard to understand what exactly the reason is that attracts two forces.
My first example is McDonalds. It’s a corporation that does not put any love in their food. Their ingredients are unhealthy and their speedy mass production chain does not care about anything but profit. Still they receive a lot of love from their customers who enjoy the taste of the food.
My second example is romantic attraction. In my experience it doesn’t really matter how much love you have within you or how much love you have to give. If you want a relationship, you either lower your standards to attract someone that has very little to offer. Or you up your game to increase what you have to offer (looks, wealth or social standing). I’m not going to deny that doing things out of love has many benefits but it doesn’t result in people flocking to your social circle. Looking at it this way seems like the D.H. Lawrence quote and the “becoming the thing which your goal desires” credo contradict each other? Because a loveless person can become the things their goal desires and be successful…

The reason I think we are in many ways entitled to certain things in life (like sunlight or clean water or a piece of land) is because they are basic requirements for life to exist. The only reason they cost a lot of energy to attain is because they have been manipulated in order for people to make money off of them. Another reason why I think we are entitled to some things is because negativity can come knocking at our door without any act on our part, simply because we live in a world where negativity exists. So if negativity can affect us without being provoked (or passively being provoked), for that same reason could positivity come to us without provocation.

An example of this are attractive women who in general sense get loads of attention. For them it hardly costs any energy to look attractive. All they have to do is buy (or borrow) a bikini and walk around. They can get drinks, attention maybe even food. It’s easy for them to find a guy that provides for them. May it be perceived positive or negative attention, that’s just how the world works. The same with royalty. If you are born a king, you are entitled to a bunch of wealth. All they had to do was to be created by the right parents.

Now that doesn’t mean I don’t believe in transmutation of energy (which indeed is a fact of life and the same principal that magic works on ;). Anything that exists comes from somewhere. Energy never disappears it always changes into another form. It doesn’t matter where that energy comes from though. If it comes from the sun or from a butterfly effect created by me at some other point in time or location. There is a lot of energy in this world. If we would use it efficiently, we would not have to work very hard at all to provide basic living requirements for everyone on earth. Another way to see it is that we as humans on earth are actually a part of the planet, not disconnected from it. That’s why we can in fact lie down in the wilderness and wait for a bunch of fruit to fall on our face or get stung by a bunch of ants without personally doing anything to make it happen. It doesn’t matter if the universe cares about us or not, my point is we exist in this ecosystem because it’s compatible with us. We wouldn’t survive on a planet that consisted of salt flats. Saying we are not entitled to clean water or a piece of land to build crops is like saying a baby animal is not entitled to its mother. The only reason they are separated is due to manipulation.

The underlying reason I bring all this up is to show that there is a difference between entitlement of basic needs and being a spoiled brat. If we were given back access to basic resources that we are currently barred from, then manifesting our own reality would be a lot more accessible for the common folk since we would not be in a constant state of artificial survival and distress.

I strongly believe that the world and everyone’s personal life is dynamic and mutable, not fixed. That’s why I’m always working to improve my life with a lot of hope and optimism in the back of my mind. My frustration stems from the influence of the current system on my ability to create and the stark contrast between my principles and those of the establishment.

I felt your post needed to be balanced with some realism but I hesitated because I usually prefer to explore the beneficial sides of a story. I’m glad I did it this way because it has brought forth a lot more interesting facets to the whole story of manifestation in my mind. In order to do that and get to the point I totally ignored everything that I did agree with, so I will do that right now.

Totally agree, always think in terms of energy and harmonics. What’s interesting to me is the paradox of riding the waves of life (not swimming against the current) but at the same time not always choosing the path of least resistance (not taking the easy way out). The best way to explain this is by your argument that life is neutral. We might perceive it as “bad” to take the path of least resistance because it would be better to take the road that teaches us the most and not get too comfortable. In the end the only thing that matters is how you perceive it, that what you do is in line with your beliefs and that you work to maximize your enjoyment of your journey.

Great stuff. The three steps make a lot of sense.

Wise words. Our time and energy are limited. It is our responsibility to use it wisely. That said, I have a friend who is a spiritual teacher whom I place a good deal of trust in, and he has talked about a place of unlimited, unconditional loving energy within the core of our beings (spiritual heart) that we can connect with and always feel complete and at peace, regardless of our situation. I’m open to the possibility of that, but I can’t say I’ve ever consciously experienced it myself.

You mean like cutting or unconstructive criticism which fills you with a desire to prove them wrong? That can definitely be fine motivation.

I would say that McDonald’s doesn’t necessarily get “love” from their customers, but simply attention and money. Some customers may say they “love” McDonald’s, but McDonald’s is really simply satisfying an addictive need they have, an addictive lack for stimulating, salty and fatty foods high in calories (but unfortunately low in nutrition). In all situations, even an abusive personality or one which we would feel is exploitative, the people being exploited are active participants due to their energy. To call them victims, ironically, completely robs them of any sense of power or free will. Of course, exploitation is bad because it is a parasitic relationship (stealing energy), not a symbiotic one (sharing energy). For this reason, these relationships result in suffering. The exploited become slaves to the exploiter.

There is something to be said about having something to offer a partner, but I don’t believe it is as simple as most people believe. It doesn’t matter how much money or fame you have, unless you have the capacity to love and understand someone one a deep level and unconditionally, you’ll keep turning over partners until you find one who doesn’t respect herself enough to leave you. I’m not sure that is the ideal goal.

I think it’s great to work on oneself and improve the material things one has to offer. But I stand by my words when I say that there is nothing you can offer anyone that is superior to unconditional love. It is the ultimate gift to another person. It doesn’t matter if only 5% of the population recognizes its value because it feels so foreign from what people see in Hollywood romances or action films. I’ve seen first-hand the power of unconditional love to dissolve the anger and hate in another person.

Regarding the D.H. Lawrence quote, I can see why it seems contradictory. The way I understand that quote is that it is not the “searching” per say that prevents the loveless from finding love, but instead their own unwillingness to be loving. It is by embodying love that we attract love to us, and thus we never have to search for it. Love comes to us because the loving are naturally drawn to other loving beings. In fact, it could be that a loveless person already has much love, but they just do not recognize it. Once they begin loving others, they see that others have already been extending them that same love.

I disagree. The disagreement may be on the definition of what it means to be entitled? When I used the word ‘entitled’ I mean that life owes something to a person regardless of what they choose to do or their actions. For example, I am entitled to fresh water. While I most certainly think its appalling that all human beings don’t have fresh water, I have no fantasies that life owes this to us. Sure, bad people do bad things and manipulate the world depriving other people of their fair share or the resources, but this is also life. Whether a meteor falls and annihilates humanity or a political leader starts a nuclear war which annihilates humanity, the results is the same. Life (or the Universe) is all forces, including you and me. Like Shakespeare says, we’re just actors on a grand stage.

It is true that life can take things away, such as thievery or murder, and it is also true that life can suddenly gift us with unexpected things. However, while I believe we should endeavor to take care of each other, I still claim that none of this is entitled us. Just as we’re not entitled to suffer indefinitely, we’re not entitled to a comfortable existence. Life sends our way whatever life chooses, not us.

If there is anything I’ve learned, it is that every person has their own problems. Beautiful and rich people have different problems, yes, but they are no more content and satisfied with life than middle-class people (that is, people who are not homeless or struggling for food and survival).

I will say this another way – a baby “should” have its mother, and we “should” have clean water and land for food. However, the Universe owes us nothing. That is, we are not entitled. The goal is to give every baby access to its mother and every person food and water (and more!), but it is important not to expect this from the world. We must, as a collective, work for this. Someone will be paying the price for our food with their toiling in the soil.

So, I do agree that “in the context of society” we should ensure people’s basic needs. There is enough prosperity that the fact this is not assured in many countries is a travesty. That said, it is in the context of society – an artificial creation of human beings – and those in the society must work to ensure this. Ideally, everyone must play their part in working for those basic needs; the needs don’t just satisfy on their own.

I feel the same frustration. I look around and see a world with immense resources, yet people and nature are treated like objects for personal gain by those with wealth and political power. I believe the true revolution, though, must originate within each of us. First, we ensure we’re not contributing to the problems through ignorance. Then, we start working to wake up others by being examples. If enough people wake up, the world will be changed through them.

I think there are places in the original post where I do suggest that this isn’t a silver bullet and that it takes hard work even to manifest. I’ll take it as constructive criticism that it might help to bring out that point more. The main point, though, is that by working with the world even if you don’t like how it is, the energy required of you is less, thus the task becomes easier. The only thing that can make manifestation difficult is our own mind getting in the way and trying to say how the world should be, thereby forcing us out of the reality of now and into a self-created world in our heads. Regardless of what we want, we must still exist in this world, not the ideal world in our heads.

The path of least resistance is similar to just floating around in life without exerting our conscious will (for example, giving in to an addictive urge). That might be easier in the present moment, but it is sure to have consequences that make our lives more difficult in the future. Therefore, the easier path might require more effort now, but pays off later. All that matters in life is net effort, not the effort in the present moment. Taking time out of a busy life to strengthen the mutual bond with one’s significant other is a great example. It takes effort, but also keeps the bond strong.

Friends, you need a plan