Manifestation Quest: DcMayhem

I will be using this post to track the progress of my personal manifestation quest as described by @Raku’s post here

My goal will be to create a top down (2d) pixel art RPG game using Unity (C#).

Edit: I decided to go for Unity because using UE4 for a 2D game is like cutting bread with an axe.
It has features I won’t be using and creating a 2D enviroment is done by modifying a 3D perspective.
Which is just redundant work.
In addition UE4 uses a lot of blueprinting i.e. codeless programming which is a no no since the main focus should be on coding the game.

The game will serve as my year-end project for my graduation, but if I’ll like the results I will continue to develop the game beyond that event.
To get an idea for the style I want to go for check out Hyper Light Drifter

What I aim to gain from this:

• learn to work with Unity
  • improve my coding (C#)
  • learn to make pixel art
  • get a better understanding of game development
  • discipline

This quest will require a lot of work since I’m planning to make all the aspects of the game myself, which includes -
Coding all the different objects,
Drawing, animating and designing the characters, environment, quests,
Writing the dialogues,
And finally making and recording the music for the game.

So far I have the general idea of how the game should look like and what the story would be.
I’ll be posting my sub-quests gradually.

Quest #0: Get familiar with Unity
For this one I’ll be using a Udemy course and the vast knowledge of the interwebs.
I assume it will take about a week or two until I’ll be able to work in the engine and focus on developing the game.

Quest #1: Start Making Sprites
This will be quite the long term quest, there are some examples I’ve made so far below.

4 Sides (F, B, L, R) for each sprite.

Main Hero - Ozul
Some slime- enemy
TBT

I’m using a program called Aseprite.

Quest#2: Make animations
First of all, create walk (4 frames) and run (8 frames) cycle animations for the main character.

Quest#3: Make a basic level in Unity
Using the sprites I’ve created I shall put together a simple level.

Quest#4: TBT

Creating this game is huge a thing for me.
I’ve spent too much dreaming about it, it’s time to take action.

Any feedback, tips or comments are welcome.

==============================================================================
Throughout my whole life I wanted to do many things, yet deep down I always wanted to be an artist.
Making this game partially fulfills this wish and I am happy to be working towards it.
I encourage everyone here to follow their hearts and desires, don’t be afraid of judgement and mistakes, they are the stepping stones to success.
Let the world see who you are and what you’re capable of!

@dcmayhem This project is too cool! I understand that 50 days will be tough to develop something like this, but it would be awesome if you could even get a tech demo going that shows off some a bit of your gameplay. I recommend to start small and implement things little by little so it is manage-able. Just some nerdy/dev questions:

1. What code version control will you use? (If you’re not decided, I’d recommend Git.)
  2. What’s your deadline for this project?

Good luck! I’m looking forward to seeing progress!

I love this idea! I can’t wait to hear where you’ll take this! If I may offer an alternative for udemy, check out www.skillwise.com. The courses there can be ridiculously cheap sometimes. Perhaps something like this is what you’re looking for? Also check out r/gamedev. Perhaps they can help point you in the right direction.

@Raku Yep, I’m not that great to create all of this in 50 days :smiley:
Although I hope to have the basic sprites (ground, trees, the main hero, 2-3 kind of enemies), input and movement, level’s story draft and the world’s backstory finished…

1. Git, indeed.
  2. February 2019, but having a fully featured demo ready before year’s end is what I aim for.

I’ll update the thread this weekend :wink:

@ShadowOfTheTrueSelf Thank you for the suggestion - I’ve not heard of skillwise yet.
I’ll make sure to check out r/gamedev too.